Wednesday, February 13, 2013

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 2

Today's Challenge: Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and describe how they became fears.

This one is tough for me.  I don't know that I have 3 legitimate fears.  I try to trust God and not live in fear.  Fear is sin.  That's what my Bible study leader said just last night and she's right.  Of course, being a mom is almost synonymous with a certain amount of fear. Ok.  Here goes:
  • I absolutely have a fear of my children not growing up to walk with the Lord. I'd say that qualifies as legitimate.   I mean, we do all we can as parents to point them in the right direction, but ultimately, it's going to be their choice.  I can just teach them, try and model a godly life (God knows I fail at this one), and pray (and pray and pray and pray) for them. 
  •  I have a fear of being in water over my head.  I'm not sure if this is really legitimate or not, but it is definitely a real fear for me.  I know it comes from the fact that I never really learned to swim well. Hubby has tried to get me to learn to swim, but I just feel silly at my age.  PLEASE don't tell me how easy it or how I could still learn.  I'm fine just the way I am and there is that whole fear of water thing, so I guess it does qualify as a legitimate fear.
  • I guess if I'm going to be totally honest, I do have a fear of not being good enough.  Good enough for who or for what?  I'm not sure.  But I always feel like I'm struggling to just be good enough and I am always *almost* there.  It's something God is working on me with.  I'm better than good enough because I'm made in His image and Christ died for me and I've accepted that gift of salvation. That makes me a child of a King!  Nothing can change that.  Whether I'm accepted or rejected my people doesn't matter.  I've been made "good enough" for God through Jesus Christ.  I know that truth in my head, but accepting it and living it is a little bit harder.    

4 comments:

  1. Great post! p.s. Do you Emilee? She started this whole challenge thing and is doing it too.(http://allthingslovelyandtrue.wordpress.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I only know the post with this challenge. Have to check the blog out more. :)

      Delete
  2. If this were a list of silly fears, I think it would be much easier! Of course, that probably defeats the purpose in getting you to stretch. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have a million silly fears! That would be so easy. Monkeys for one! I have a completely irrational fear of monkeys! Stupid! I know! I don't mind cute, little, cartoon-y monkeys. I'm talking about real monkeys, apes, gorillas, etc. Can't stand them.

      Delete