Thursday, February 28, 2013

30 Day Challenge: Day 16

Day 16: What are your 5 greatest accomplishments?

Ok. This one is going to be tough.  I mean, 1 or 2 I could do, but 5?  That's tough.  I don't like to sound like I'm bragging and I don't know that I've ever done anything "great".  Well, here goes.....

  1. First one is easy.  I gave birth 3 times without an epidural.  I'm not bragging and I don't care what any other woman does.  For me, I wanted to do it without any meds and go as natural as possible.  I did it once and knew I could do it again.  I did have fast labors.  I'm sure if I had had 20+ hour labors like some women, I would have been begging for some relief.  Anyway, to me, that was like climbing Mt Everest!
  2. This one may sound silly, but to my 6 year old self, it was a great accomplishment.  It was learning to spell my last name.  My maiden name was Rindfleisch.  For a little kid, that's a lot of letters. My mother told me I couldn't get my own library card until I could fill out the application card myself.  Of course, that included writing my full name, T-h-e-r-e-s-a R-i-n-d-f-l-e-i-s-c-h.  I did it!  I was so proud to finally be able to check out books all by myself! I was a nerd even back then! LOL
  3. Home ownership.  My parents didn't achieve this until they were in their late-40's.  Hubby and I were able to do it (by God's grace) in our mid/late 20's.  (I was mid, he was late! ;-) ).  I'm so thankful that my kids have this nice, big house and their own yard to grow up in.  It's much different that the driveway and the patch of dirt I had.  Of course, the apartment we had was on the 2nd floor and it was pretty cool to sit out on the roof in the summer at night and just watch the world go by.  That was probably the one thing that place had going for it.
  4. I homeschooled my kids for 3 years and hope to homeschool the little one through at least kindergarten.  I would love to bring the older 2 home again at some point, but I'm not sure it's ever going to happen.  Homeschooling is not easy and every day can feel like a huge defeat.  One step forward, 2 steps back.  Looking back, I think 3 years is a great accomplishment.  Side note:  If you're reading this and are a homeschooling mom: You're my hero!!
  5. One more.  I don't know.  That's all I've got for now.  If I think of anything else, I'll come back.  At some point in my life I'd like to add learning to cook a good steak (mine never come out well), getting a college degree, and maybe conquering the world to this list, but this will have to do for now.  Bye!

3 comments:

  1. It's not bragging to look at some of the things you've been proud to accomplish in *your* life. If someone is offended by that, they need to either fix their personal insecurities, stop comparing themselves to others so much, or consider it a challenge to do the same thing. And there are *no* silly accomplishments. Accomplishment is personal and individual and unique. It can be something "big" or something "little," last week or 25 years ago. Whatever they are, own them, they're yours! You did the work to make it happen and it's ok to smile about that. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! *HUG* My own personal cheerleader! I guess I could add "keeping friends" to the list. I've been blessed to have friends for a long time, like you. That is definitely an accomplishment to be proud of.

      Delete
    2. Isn't that what friends are for, to be our biggest cheerleaders? =)

      Delete