Thursday, February 14, 2013

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 3

Today's challenge: What is the greatest amount of physical pain you have ever endured?

Ok. This one is super easy for me, much easier than the 3 legitimate fears from yesterday.  The greatest physical pain was childbirth, hands down!!  I chose do go through it 3 times without any pain medication.  I don't have anything against pain medication, as a general rule.  I certainly wouldn't have a tooth pulled without it. I just don't like the thought of having a needle stuck into my spine.  That being said, I did leave the door open, just in case I changed my mind.  Also, my labors were really fast, compared to some women's, so I can't say if I had had 20 hour labors that I wouldn't have gotten some drugs.  Anyway, back to the pain. Yes, it hurt. A LOT, especially Ryan's, but it's a good kind of pain because you know it's producing something really beautiful.  I wouldn't change a thing about any of my labors, even with all the pain! These little faces were totally worth it!

Ellie:


 Ian:

Ryan:

3 comments:

  1. Funny story from when I worked at daycare. One of the women I worked with went through unmedicated childbirth three times herself (prior to me knowing her; her children were all high school age at this point). While we worked together, she came down with a UTI. As you can imagine, when a bunch of women (there were 4 of us) work together in that kind of environment for years, we talked about pretty much anything. She informed us that she would rather have a fourth unmedicated birth than to ever go through the pain of a UTI again. Having suffered through back to back UTIs over the course of a year, at one point, I am *really* not sure how to take that bit of information! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TMI warning: I've had many UTI's and yes, they're uncomfortable, but nothing like childbirth. Strange she would say that. Childbirth is like a sledgehammer slamming into your body. With Ryan, it was all in my back. That was the worst. Like I said, you know it's for a purpose, so that make it more bearable, at least for me it did.

      Delete
    2. I suppose everyone processes pain differently. I know UTIs make me want to...I don't know what. Something. LOL! It's like shards of glass. But I get them very severely. (And thankfully, seem to have found what cures them for me without taking ridiculously strong antibiotics.) But I can also tell you that, following my surgery a couple of years ago, I never took anything stronger than Advil. They injected the incision sites internally with painkillers and I had something in my IV drip while I was in recovery, but they offered my Percocet before discharging me and I declined. I really didn't need it. And I never opened the bottle of painkillers my surgeon prescribed. Just two Advil every six hours kept me comfortable enough to function. (As long as I wasn't coughing or laughing.) So...the only thing I can think of is that each body processes each time of pain in its own way!

      Delete